Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark D Mark D is offline

Default Painting a mobile home...

Hi, Well, if you live in a hot climate, or it gets very hot in summer,
lighter colors will help somewhat to reduce cooling costs, and make it
easier to cool versus darker colors.

Usually in this case then, White will be the default color, with
virtually any shade of color to compliment it for the trim. Since you
mention a marzipan skirting, perhaps a very pale pastel complimentary
color would go well. It will probably help if you can bring home paint
swatches, and find a "family" of complimentary colors to go well with
the Skirting.

I don't think you've mentioned if either a metal, or board clad home
(I'm assuming Board), but do read the cans well, so that you know you'll
have a suitable paint for your application.

Glosses, or Semi-Glosses will generally look very cheesy, so I'd sugest
going with all flat paints. You shouldn't need a primer, unless you are
installing fresh, new pieces.

Lastly, the better your prep, the better the final results, and I cannot
stress this enough with mobile homes. This is generally where most of
the work is, is in the prep before painting. Make sure to do a thorough
job with scraping, wire brushing, caulking, sanding, masking,etc. Your
efforts here will give you then the best looking finished job.

If you have any doubts about roof issues, such as repairs, coatings,
etc, it would probably be wise to attend to this first, rather than
after painting. Mark