Posted to sci.electronics.repair
default default is offline

Default Help, any gurus with alternator experience or knowledge?

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:53:08 GMT, (Jason D.) wrote:

Please cut to one newsgroup forum, you're cross posting to many
newgroups. Thanks.

Yeah was hoping to find a person who's done a rewind himself. The
repair group is too busy, figured I'd drop off the screen in a day or
two.

Reason those wires breaking off is that crankshaft have firing
impulses on the crank, even with flywheel and damper crankshaft still
vibrate in rotation plane. Whack whack whack, those poor wires from
the winding to the slip rings vibrating like twanged bow string and
evenually come apart.

My latest plan is to try a self-supporting coil. I found some 22
gauge wire I could afford. Rather than make a bobbin, I put some
polyethylene facings to my mandrel and plan to spray it with silicone
as a mold release agent. I'm serving some small braided wire to the
ends of the magnet wire and bringing those up through fabric sleeves
and anchoring the ends in wraps of cotton twine.

Is the winding throughly SECURE? Also you may want to redesign the
eyelets to be MORE close to the winding. Always fabric sleeve these
flying wires and use cotton twine wetted with varnish and bed it then
lay the wires across it and bury the wires with more twine. Let set.
This is what old school motors were done this way to stop wires from
vibrating.

I'm using the same epoxy that worked last time for this winding. The
stuff I ordered didn't get here and won't until Friday. I may still
do a second coil with vinyl ester resin since I have more than enough
wire now.

There's no doubt the wire and sleeves I used were anchored well enough
the last time - but I think it was a mistake to use Teflon sleeves -
the wire had about .5 millimeter of play in the sleeve and it was 1.5
centimeters long embedded in epoxy - but epoxy can't penetrate the
sleeve.

Fabric sleeve (called spaghetti in the repair trade here) has been
supplanted with Teflon and heat-shrink tubing. I have some Military
type, small diameter (2.5mm), silver plated coaxial cable with a
fabric braid. Probably used for airframe applications from sensors to
cockpit. I'm using the braid and fabric and discarding the Teflon
center conductor.

Especially look at the old vacuum motors, They had to be built to
survive 10,000 rpm from dead stop, same with engine starters.

Cheers, Wizard

Thanks for the ideas