Posted to rec.woodworking
Renata Renata is offline

Default best wood for tiller

THanx again.

I don't think the tiller's salvageable as the crack runs it's length
and I wouldn't trust a salvage job in that state. Easy enouhg to
replace. I think they're gonna glue it as a temporary measure til the
new one's done.

It's sorta a labor of love, but when one poster mentioned $50 for a
replacement, well, the love sorta diminished... ;-)

Thanx
Renata

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:02:49 -0400, DIYGUY
wrote:

Sorry to hear about the mishap - I have had similar experiences myself ...
I would reuse the original hardware - as long as it is not suspect in
anyway. Heck, you might even be able to salvage the tiller depending on
how bad it is cracked. Ordinary carpenters glue might work for you.
You could always put some SS screws in it if you feel the glue would be
insufficient. And the suggestion that you buy an OTC replacement may be
heresy, but the price of your time and materials will probably greatly
exceed the cost of a fairly good tiller. If this is a labor of love
then that's another story.

-snip-
Renata wrote:

I'm gonna make a new tiller extension handle for a club's sailboat.
What's the best (and cost effective) wood to use? White oak? I'm
thinking teak might be too $$.

Thanx
Renata