Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bookworm Bookworm is offline

Default Thomas T leaking.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My outside loo has a genuine cast iron high level Thomas T and original
Victorian two piece pan.

However, the internals of the Thomas T were replaced with a modern
version before I bought the house. And the down pipe is plastic. Looks ok
at a casual glance though, and works fine.

The coupling between the down pipe and the pan is a sort of shaped rubber
boot, and this has perished and is leaking. Any idea where to get a
replacement - or would some form of gunge work as well?

I know what you mean. We used to use them when I was a young Plumber **
years ago. We used to roll them back like a condom on the flush pipe
side fill them with putty and pull them forward over the pan inlet. We
then used to use wire to hold them in place by wrapping wire round each
side and then twisting with pliers.

Bloody crude I know but in those days that was the way things were.

Have not seen one for years.