Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Garage wiring advice needed

Andy Wade wrote:

Is the house earthing TN-S or TN-C-S (PME)? What's the floor like,
especially near the fridge, freezer and lathe (Are these items in the
brick shed, or the garage? Are the floors damp? Are there any metal
service or waste pipes entering thro' the floors? Is there any RCD
protection anywhere?

What aspect(s) are you actually worried about? The length limit for 2.5
mm^2 T&E on a 15 A fuse is 35 m, so there may be a concern there,
especially if it's pre-1984 cable with a 1.0 mm^2 CPC.

--
Andy

Many thanks for your answer, Andy

I've been over to his cottage on another matter and got the answers.

The earthing terminology doesn't mean anything to me but the overhead
feed to the house is two wire and there's a none-to-heavy green and
yellow wire coming out of the meter box and disappearing into the
ground - the house was re-wired about 25 years ago I think.

The floor in both the initial small brick shed and in the wooden garage
is concrete. Neither floor is damp and certainly the garage one has a
dpc. The electrical equipment I referred to is all in the garage.

No metal pipes anywhere.

No RCD's

Concern - well it was something to do with earthing on long cable runs,
and your comment about pre 1984 cable might back that up.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob