Posted to alt.home.repair
Matthew Reed Matthew Reed is offline

Default Waterproofing fence posts

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Matthew Reed wrote:
More on my fence building subject. I live in Oregon, Lebanon, near
Salem. Rains all year. Lots and lots of rain. I'm using pressure
treated ground contact rated 4x4x8' posts. I plan on setting them 2
feet deep in concrete. Would it be worthwhile to apply any additional
waterproofing coating to the posts before setting them in concrete?
What kind of life expentancy can I expect from these posts set in
concrete? Assuming I take reasonable care to taper the concrete, cap
the top, and keep it painted. If they rot out in 5 years, I'll be
stuck with rotted posts in concrete that will need to be dug up, and
I'll have several dozen big chunks of concrete that I won't know what
to do with.

Any particular reason you're not using metal posts? Smaller holes, less
concrete, won't rot, easier to attach rails (they make clamp-like things
for that purpose), easier to replace when something goes wrong (hit by
car?).

I don't think you want to PAINT pressure-treated posts.

Never done it that way, and I already have a bunch of wood posts. Need to
research it, I don't think I've ever seen a wood panel fence with metal
posts.