Posted to uk.d-i-y
- - is offline

Default Loft power socket?

-GB-Carpy wrote:
Up in my loft I need to add a power socket which will be used to power
one tv amplifier.

There is the lighting circuit up there, and conveniently near to where I
need the socket, there is a brown juntion box which just has 1 twin+earth
in, and one the same out. Perhaps someone used this to join the cables?

Anyway. Can I just connect a length of twin+earth into here, then connect
the other end into a 5A single socket.

I'll have to cut the flex from the TV amp and fit a 5A fuse with the
rounded pins to fit the socket.

Does this sound OK?

Ideally i'd like a double socket up there because for a while whilst i'm
installing the aerial stuff i'd maybe like a spare "normal pin" socket
available to charge a small power tool, but these perhaps could be
misinterpreted as a "proper" socket in the future and someone might
overload the lighting circuit?

I'm also understanding that this wouldnt be notifiable under part P? I do
have some old cable length up there I could use.......but then again the
5A socket I buy will probably have a date on it somewhere.......

Any comments would be gratefully received.

I would probably put in a switched fused spur with a 5A fuse in it..

Not sure if its kosher or not...

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

The existing junction box must be in the live + neutral because the amp is
powered when the loft light is turned off.

The upstairs lighting circuit is on a 6A RCD.

The consensus on here and on another forum where I asked the same question,
seems to be that the best way to do this is to use a FCU fitted with a 3A
fuse, and clearly mark it as follows

"MAXIMUM LOAD 3 AMP / 600 WATTS"

Also, there is a bit of banter going on as to whether this work will require
a minor works certificate. There is agreement that the work is not
notifiable, but disagreement as to the certificate.

We're not planning on selling the house anytime soon, so I guess whatever
the outcome I don't need to worry?

Thanks again for the replies.