Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Well water level dropping - what to do?

According to Matthew Reed nospam at zootal dot com nospam:

You can likely convert your Gould to a jet pump. While they're not
nearly as nice as a full submersible, they can get you down to 100'
or a trifle more.

My well is a 2 inch pipe - can I use a jet pump in that? I'm assuming this
would overcome the pressure/volume issue, assuming the well itself had the
capacity for that?

Jet pumps require _two_ lines down the well - one a gozinta, and
the other a gozouta. They work by pushing a small amount of water
down the hole, which by venturi action, draws up a larger amount
of water up the other pipe. Can be hard to prime.

Our well has a 1 1/2" gozouta, and a 1 1/4" gozinta.

On a related topic - my pump is a Gould JRS5, and I can only get about 55
psi out of it with everything turned off.

Presumably the switch is set to cut out at that point.

No, I adjusted it up so the pump did not turn off. It ran the pressure up to
about 55psi, kept running, but the pressure did not go up anymore. I'll go
try it again to see for sure.

40-50psi is considered ample for well systems. Much beyond that,
you're wasting electricity.

We do a fairly extensive irrigation system off our well. Well
capacity, and careful design of layouts matter more than PSI.

/runs out and cranks up regulator.

58psi no load. Guess that is good enough. Well pumps water, don't want to
waste a couple hundred bucks to find out the pump is doing what it should

How much pressure should I be able
to get? Under load, say 3 impact sprinklers, I can only get about 30 psi.

That's fairly good.

Most impact sprinklers take quite a bit of water, and are seldom
adjustable (like 3gpm). In contrast, Orbit gearheads, as an example,
can be choked down to about 1 gpm apiece. I get ample throw off
four of these units. The impact sprinklers struggle a bit with 3,
and will sometimes get stuck if on the downside of the pressure
cycle.

[I've tried making new orifices for our impact sprinklers, and it
didn't work very well in my brief test.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est