Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default Waterproofing fence posts

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:23:57 -0700, "Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal
dot com nospam wrote:

More on my fence building subject. I live in Oregon, Lebanon, near Salem.
Rains all year. Lots and lots of rain. I'm using pressure treated ground
contact rated 4x4x8' posts. I plan on setting them 2 feet deep in concrete.
Would it be worthwhile to apply any additional waterproofing coating to the
posts before setting them in concrete? What kind of life expentancy can I
expect from these posts set in concrete? Assuming I take reasonable care to
taper the concrete, cap the top, and keep it painted. If they rot out in 5
years, I'll be stuck with rotted posts in concrete that will need to be dug
up, and I'll have several dozen big chunks of concrete that I won't know
what to do with.

Sure. And pile it on thick at the very bottom especially up to
about 4 inches from the surface. (Ugly when it shows).

I've dug up lots of those concrete bottoms with broken posts in them
and it is always VERY hard work, so you are right to do what you can
when planting them.