Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Loft power socket?

"Owain" wrote in message
-GB-Carpy wrote:
Up in my loft I need to add a power socket which will be used to power
one tv amplifier.
There is the lighting circuit up there, and conveniently near to where I
need the socket, there is a brown juntion box which just has 1 twin+earth
in, and one the same out. Perhaps someone used this to join the cables?

Yebbut is that a joint in the line+neutral, or in the
switchedlive+neutral, in which case your telly will only work when the
appropriate light is on.

Anyway. Can I just connect a length of twin+earth into here, then connect
the other end into a 5A single socket.

Yes

I'll have to cut the flex from the TV amp and fit a 5A fuse

plug - the round pin ones are unfused

with the rounded pins to fit the socket.
Does this sound OK?

Yes

Ideally i'd like a double socket up there because for a while whilst i'm
installing the aerial stuff i'd maybe like a spare "normal pin" socket
available to charge a small power tool, but these perhaps could be
misinterpreted as a "proper" socket in the future and someone might
overload the lighting circuit?

That is why an ordinary 13A socket should not be fitted on a lighting
circuit. You /could/ take the supply through a prominently-marked 3A fused
connection unit to the socket as a way of reducing the badness.

If you only need it to charge a power tool why can't you charge it
elsewhere?

I'm also understanding that this wouldnt be notifiable under part P? I do
have some old cable length up there I could use.......but then again the
5A socket I buy will probably have a date on it somewhere.......

Only thing I can foresee is that if you have a TT installation you need a
30mA RCD on all sockets, and your lighting circuit might be on a 100mA RCD
(or no RCD). Technically I think the RCD requirement would apply to a 5A
socket but it would certainly apply to a 13A socket.

Owain

I used a 2 amp clock point for a TV amplifier.