Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Well water level dropping - what to do?

Matthew Reed wrote:
The water level in my well is dropping, which I understand is normal for
this time of year. Once it drops below the pickup, I can't pump any more. Is
there anything that can be done to deepen the well or clean out the bottom,
or am I stuck with what I have? The well is 17 feet deep, I don't know how
much debris or mud might be at the bottom. I have a 2" pipe going into the
ground. The guy that drilled it dropped a stick of dynamite into it and blew
out the bottom, but I don't know how big of a cavity might be down there.

All you can do is pull the pump and do a sounding to find the water
level and the existing hole bottom. Is it cased? Depending on the
hydrology and the geology of the area you're in, it's possible you may
be able to drop the pump a little--oh, I guess you've got an above
ground pump, so it would be dropping the pipe a little farther.

How long has the well been there and what is its history? Do you get
significant surface regeneration or not? Is level dropping because of
current drought or high usage or area-wide usage or ...???

Lot's more questions here than answers--you're best bet is to talk to
local well folks, most likely the guy who drilled it to begin with.