Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Cracking grout

Bob wrote:
I recently remodelled my shower (new layout, tile, etc) in my
bathroom. http://www.rapture.org/shower/006.jpg

After having the glass put up, I noticed on the right side the grout
was cracking around tiles which touched the glass. Specifically, the
area you see right he
http://www.rapture.org/shower/010.jpg

I don't see any glass in this photo. Rather hard to tell since your
photos - especially the closeups - are way out of focus. However...

1. If by "glass" you mean the pieces of aluminum screwed to the tile in
which the door fits fits then you shouldn't be using grout there. Use
caulk.

2. If you are talking about areas where tile abuts wood trim then you could
use either caulk or grout; however, it is likely that there will always be
sme cracking if grout is used due to the difference of expansion/contraction
of the two materials. Moreover, if the rim was painted before grouting
(likely) the grout won't stick well to it and you'd most likely have a
hairline crack at the grout/wood junction. Won't hurt anything...

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...