Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need info on Central Vacuum

Looking at the hideaway system, I see one big problem. The hose does
not support an electric cable in the hose. Which means you either have
to use their air driven unit or use a electric one with a seperate cord
that is not integrated into the hose. IMO, having a cord around that
is seperate from the hose is going to be a big pain. I used to have
the old style hose that had the AC power cable clipped on the outside
and even that was a PITA. The new ones have them hidden in the hose.
And I doubt the air driven units are anywhere near as effective as a
true AC powered one.

I would also think installing this system is likely more work, as it
seems you have to be more concerned with how many turns, where they
are, limiting the radius, etc.

For sure before I went this route, I'd talk to some folks that actually
have one.

But, as central vacs in general, I think they are the way to go. One
nice benefit is the air and any odors/untrapped particles go outside,
while with a conventional vac, they stay inside. Which is more
important if you have animals, are allergic, etc. When I bought my
house, the central AC was vented into the basement. After vacuuming
the house, if you went downstairs you could instantly smell the odor
from the carpet. Now I have it routed outside, but without a central,
you can't do that.