Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Grunke Ken Grunke is offline

Default A ball bearing revolving center with a single testicle

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:25:09 -0400, Arch wrote:

Now finally to the subject for the two still reading. I recalled a
'revolving' center I'd made up once. Nothing more than drilling a hole
in a short rod held in a Jacobs chuck Then dropping a bearing ball into
the greased hole followed with the flat end of a pointed rod to revolve
against the ball (thrust bearing). No smoke, no squeal. A little wobble,
but it's not dial indicator time.

I made up a rolling center a few years ago, using a single ball for the
lack of a real thrust bearing. It was captured between two centerholes,
one in the turning shaft and the other in the body of the unit. The shaft
was held in a single ball bearing--an R8, if I remember right--and
continued for about 3/4" beyond that to the bottom of the body's cavity,
where the ball was captured. It was just like your average rolling center,
except with only one bearing unit up front and the captured ball at the
inner end. Worked OK, as long as I kept it packed with grease.

Now I have a cheapo live center that came with the Jet 1236, with a
removable tapered pin. I could machine custom points for this, but so far
I've only made a cup center from maple to fit in this unit:
http://www.turnwood.net/Photopost/sh...cat/500/page/2

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/