Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber Pat Barber is offline

Default built in closets

It is harder to describe than to actually do.

Go here for closet ideas and spacing...

http://www.closetmaid.com/main.cfm

That link will give you the "design" ideas and spacing.

Your job is to translate those ideas into a home made
version that looks decent and services your needs.

You can do wire...from the Home Center (fairly expensive)
You can do MDF ...from the Home Center(cheap but must be painted)
You can do melamine..from the Home Center.(Cheap ...but)

The "but" in melamine is that you need to buy the pre-taped
stuff to haver finished edges. Melamine makes a nice looking
closet when done correctly.

The 07/99 issue of Fine HomeBuilding has a excellent article
on just this subject. It shows ALL three methods and will
allow you to do a excllent job.

"Outfitting a Clothes Closet" by Gary Katz

You can download it for $3.50 and it will be well worth
the money....

http://www.taunton.com/store/fharchi...p?searchChar=O

wannabewoodworker wrote:

I am getting ready to build some built-ins for my closets. My question
is basically how to "hang" the shelves to the walls. Is it the shelv
supports that I attatch to the walls that hold up everything? My last
house had built-ins and I have researched into other houses built-ins
but of course I can only see the finished product that shows no
nails/screws and is pretty much painted to the walls. Can anyone give
me some pointers?