Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default best wood for tiller

To continue on Lew's suggestion . . .

Laminating up your own tiller isn't hard . . . just time consuming to do it
RIGHT.

I was planning on doing one for a 15ft 'micro-cruiser' {the 'original'
looked like it was simply a painted piece of cut down '2x4'}. I had recently
gotten several current 'Marine Supply' catalogs and browsing through them
noted that SEVERAL had beautifully, professionally laminated, tillers for
$50 or less. . . . In various curves & styles, as well.

My suggestion is to look at the Hendersen Marine, Jamestown Distributors,
and Annapolis Performance Sailing web-sites before building your own.
{ALTHOUGH . . the trouble to build a jig is worth while if you are going to
make MULTIPLE tillers}

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...
Renata wrote:
I'm gonna make a new tiller extension handle for a club's sailboat.
What's the best (and cost effective) wood to use? White oak? I'm
thinking teak might be too $$.

Sounds like a sailor.

Just because the wind is free, dosen't mean everything else is to, as
the old saying goesG.

If you are going to laminate it, as someone else suggested, ash and
Hondouras mahogany will make a nice combination.

Not a good place for teak IMHO.

Lew