Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default built in closets

wannabewoodworker wrote:
I am getting ready to build some built-ins for my closets. My question
is basically how to "hang" the shelves to the walls. Is it the shelv
supports that I attatch to the walls that hold up everything? My last
house had built-ins and I have researched into other houses built-ins
but of course I can only see the finished product that shows no
nails/screws and is pretty much painted to the walls. Can anyone give
me some pointers?

It depends a lot on how long the shelves are but if in the normal 30-40"
range, here are some ideas...

1. Insert shelf ends indo dados in the carcase sides. That assumes you are
making a box that *has* sides. It also assumes you will never want to move
the shelves up or down.

2. If you are using the walls of the closet itself, fasten strips of wood
about 3/4 - 1inch wide and 1/2 - 3/4 thick to the walls...two on each side
and the ones on each side spaced so that the space between them is around 2"
less than the width of the shelves. You can fasten them to the walls with
molly or toggle bolts. Before fastening, they need to have a series of
holes drilled that are 3/8" deep by 1/4" in diameter; a drilling interval of
1 1/4" works well and the holes need to line up one piece to another. Once
hung, you can use KV (Knap Voght) clips to support the shelves. The clips
have a round end which is inserted into the holes and a small bracket at
right angles to support whatever. When you make your shelves, cut out a bit
at each corner so the shelf will fit around the wood strips; that locks
them into place and prevents them being pulled out.

The advantage of this is that the shelves can be moved up and down to
accommodate your needs.

You can also make rods to hang in the same way. You need to make them about
1/2" thicker than the strips attached to the walls so you can cut a notch in
each end of the rods to slip over the wall strips. They too are supported
by KV clips. Since you can easily position any shelf or rod anywhere on the
wall mounted strips, you can have two rods - one above another - to double
hanging space in a given area for shorter items of clothing such as
shirts/blouses/suits.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...