Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:47:06 +0100 someone who may be Timothy Murphy
wrote this:-

Electrons [1], don't come from anywhere. Rather they are waggled
backwards and forwards, over surprisingly small distances.

[1] which don't really exist but are rather something of an
artificial construction.

That seems rather an odd remark.

Does it?

Are you saying you don't think electrons really exist?

Physicists have been trying to work that one out for a long time.
Many decades ago, perhaps a century, the wave/particle duality was
causing people to scratch their heads. Even in school in the 1970s
they were talking about replacing ball and spring models with
something more realistic to avoid giving pupils the wrong
impression.

The last time I checked theory had resolved some of these and other
nuclear puzzles, via all sorts of interesting things in about eight
dimensions. I believe British scientists (and mathematicians) are
doing a fair amount of this work. Of course the new wonder theory
may just be like the other wonder theories of the past, simply
peeling another layer off the onion. That is certainly all the
earlier concepts did and it would be arrogant to assume that we are
going to do any better than just push knowledge on a bit.

How many quarks have now been discovered? This sort of thing will
become very boring if researchers ever reach the end of history on
the subject.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh