Posted to uk.d-i-y
KVL KVL is offline

Default Washing machine/cost savings

Not DIY, but of the ngs I read, this is the one with the most people
who are clued-in to this kind of thing.

The washing machine looks like it might be on its last legs (I'm not
complaining, it was a reconditioned fifty-quid job three years ago)
and I'm looking at the possibility of buying a large-volume one.
There are two in particular that are under consideration.

One is the Whirlpool LSQ8033 - a top-loader, costing less than £400.
I know top-loaders are generally less efficient; I can't find
detailed energy information on this one - but it takes a load of 8.2
kg and is cheap for that size of load.

The other is the Whirlpool Dreamspace AWM9000. It's a front-loader,
costing about 60% more. Takes 9 kg. Rated AAA or ABB, depending on
where I look :-\

Now, the questions. How much is an energy-efficient model likely to
save me? We're paying 11.2p/kwh in electricity, water isn't metered.
With a bigger washer, that means fewer loads - currently with a 5ish
kg machine, we probably average about nine loads a week. Is it worth
paying the extra for the front-loader? I've used both kinds and have
a slight preference for the front-loading kind, but only slight.

I'm not married to the idea of a Whirlpool, btw - it's just these
seem the best available options. The only real criteria are large
volume and price - and that it can be delivered to Northern Ireland
without costing a fortune.

TIA

--
KVL