Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Bolt Thread Size (Damn Metric ****)

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:17:29 GMT, Briggs
wrote:

Noozer wrote:
Thanks for the info, and yeah, it's MM not cm....
So, are all metric bolts the same thread pitch since they dont list
it???

Nope... metrix bolts are measured in how far from thread to thread.

It will most likely be an M6x1x16, meaning 6mm in diameter, 1mm from thread
to thread and 16mm long.

It's so much easier to say I need a 1/4" bolt 1" long with 24 threads per
inch.

Naw...

M6x1x16 is just as easy as 1/4"x1 UNC

Metric makes a lot more sense (it was designed that way). We just know
what we're used to. For example, what horsepower light bulbs do you
use? I don't know either, I use the dreaded metric unit--watts.
Familiarity with the metric system would have saved a couple of Mars
missions and about a gazillion dollars.

I really dont understand how it can make more sense. Do you really
think anyone can remember all these numbers? (examples below)

a 2X4 board = 5.08 x 10.16 (cm)
a 1x6 board = 2.54 x 15.24 (cm)
an 8 foot long stud = 2.4384 (meters)
4x8 foot sheet of plywood = 1.2192 x 2.4384 (meters)
30 miles per hour = 48280.32 meters per hour
1 yard of carpeting = 0.9144 meters of carpeting

How can you call this simple?
2x4 is easy to remember, not 5.08 x 10.16.....