Posted to rec.woodworking
Eric Eric is offline

Default built in closets

wannabewoodworker wrote:
I am getting ready to build some built-ins for my closets. My question
is basically how to "hang" the shelves to the walls. Is it the shelv
supports that I attatch to the walls that hold up everything? My last
house had built-ins and I have researched into other houses built-ins
but of course I can only see the finished product that shows no
nails/screws and is pretty much painted to the walls. Can anyone give
me some pointers?

I recently installed a dresser/built-in for my closet with a set of
cubby holes on top. The projects sound similar enough so here's what I
did...

I did the project in two pieces; a dresser of 6 drawers and a set of
cubby holes on top.

Both pieces are simple carcasses identical in size with matching face
frames. The bottom piece is the carcass with nothing but drawers. That
sits on the floor against the wall. I screwed the back into a wall
stud.

The second piece is a carcass with one drawer and several cubby holes
above. It sits on top of the first piece. I screwed that into a wall
stud at two different locations. Think about how kitchen cabinets are
installed.

Because the two pieces are identical in size, together with the
matching face frames they look like one like one big piece of furniture
about 3 feet wide and 7 feet high.

The system is very practical, effective, and turned out very nice.

It is very secure.