Andy Hall

Default domestic non-power wiring services

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:56:20 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

If they are using a poor aerial.

I was thinking of the Pringles tube type of thing that hackers tend
to use.

Says him with two 802.11b based links
attached to his house one 4.5km long the other about 3km. OK the 4.5km
one uses 24" dishes at each end but has a good 20dB+ margin. The
shorter link uses "long" yagis and has a similar margin. Other links
in the area are longer, some over 10km.

So this is a house to house type of scheme? How many do you typically
have in a chain back to the central point with the land line access?

Have you done any traffic shaping, or do you just rely on everybody
being reasonably well behaved?

With a decent aerial I reckon that you could be several hundred
metres, line of sight, from an normal access point and still be able
to communicate with it.

The thing is though that a car with darkened windows and a 24" dish
would have everybody scurrying to check that they had renewed their TV
licenses. :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl