Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default 2 prong to 3 prong outlet conversion?

Beachcomber wrote:
Is it legal (according to the electrical code) for me to change the
outlet to a more modern 3 prong type and to obtain a ground from a
nearby copper pipe or from one of the nearby plugs that already have a
3 prong outlet???? I notice the previous owner did this in several
locations, but I need to know if it's legal to obtain a ground in this
manner???

We live in Maine, but belive the National Code is the one that has
jurisdiction.

If you are planning to pull a ground wire back to the panel, you might
as well just plan on rewiring the outlets properly and legally with
new grounded cable. Any separate ground that you run is going to be
a kluge install and most likely would not pass code with an honest and
knowlegable electrical inspector. Not being code compliant can
affect your liability and fire insurance coverage.

I haven't checked the most recent revision of the code to make sure it's
still there, but the code specifically allows you to run a separate
ground wire when upgrading old work. Think about it; the old ungrounded
wiring is code compliant because there was no grounded requirement when
it was installed. Adding a supplemental grounding wire can only make it
safer (assuming the grounding wire goes back to the panel or grounding
electrode system so a fault can't energize another circuit.)

Bob