Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown PipeDown is offline

Default Cracking grout

"Bob" wrote in message
I recently remodelled my shower (new layout, tile, etc) in my bathroom.
http://www.rapture.org/shower/006.jpg

After having the glass put up, I noticed on the right side the grout was
cracking around tiles which touched the glass. Specifically, the area you
see right he
http://www.rapture.org/shower/010.jpg

It was in a traffic area and it was bad enough where I had to bring out a
professional. Before the contractor could work, I had the surrounding
glass removed. The contractor didn't do a perfect job (not nearly good
enough for $450), but I just want to get this over with. Anyway, now I
noticed cracking on tile on the outside in a totally non-traffic area,
such as this:

http://www.rapture.org/shower/001.jpg
http://www.rapture.org/shower/012.jpg (zoomed out, can't really see it in
a picture)

The inside of the shower, there are no cracks on the tile grout. My
question is, can I just fix this grout without having to remove the glass
& tiles? For example, just scrape the grout out and put more in? I don't
know what the deal is with the grout cracking, especially in areas which
get no traffic like that. But I've spent way over my budget on this
bathroom and I want to get it over with.

Thanks

If the cracking came right after the glass was installed, it may be a result
of the installation. Perhaps the drill they used vibrated the wall or the
extra weight of the glass caused it to shift. Push it around, make sure its
not going to just happen again.

Whatever the reason you can either rake out some grout and regrout or if it
is not bothering you cosmetically you can smear with silicone (may want to
do that for a temp fix until you get to replacing the grout). I'm thinking
that scrubbing non sanded grout into the crack with a toothbrush would cover
it for a while but it would open again with the slightest shifting (might be
worth a try, it could work)