Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default 2 prong to 3 prong outlet conversion?

Ari wrote:
We just bought a new house and want to upgrade the electrical system,
some of which was done in the 60's when the house was built. The vast
majority of the electrical outlets have only 2 wires, the ground
terminal is missing.

Some of the outlets are in the basement, where the wiring is partially
accessible however.

Is it legal (according to the electrical code) for me to change the
outlet to a more modern 3 prong type and to obtain a ground from a
nearby copper pipe or from one of the nearby plugs that already have a
3 prong outlet???? I notice the previous owner did this in several
locations, but I need to know if it's legal to obtain a ground in this
manner???

We live in Maine, but belive the National Code is the one that has
jurisdiction.

Thanks,

Might not be necessary; if the wiring is vintage 60s, it's most likely
grounded via conduit or via BX cable. No?