Posted to alt.home.repair
Alex Alex is offline

Default Using Garage for ham shack and computer

wrote:
Do people still do amateur radio? I thought that ended when the
internet started. What can you get on an amateur radio that you cant
get on the internet?

Hi,

Actually there's SO much to do with amateur radio, it's impossible to
list here. I originally thought as you, why get into amateur radio
when I have the Internet, but ever tried using your Internet connection
when there's no power? What about when you're on vacation in the
mountains or driving cross country? Internet is great for retrieving
information, looking up stuff, etc, and it does well for casual
communcation across the globe -- but come a disaster or time where
there's no power when you REALLY NEED to talk to someone, via radio is
the only way.

Most of the folks I talk to in amateur radio point newbies to
http://www.hello-radio.com/, which is a nice site with tons of great
info. Technically though I hope to get into APRS
(http://www.aprs.net/), packet radio, SSTV, and do the many contests
that are out there. When messing with computers to talk across the
globe, what are you accomplishing, but when doing it via amateur radio,
YOU are doing it -- not an ISP, phone company, power company, etc. YOU
are the one reaching out and touching someone

Take care --

Alex