Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Park Bench

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 21:05:51 -0500, "Greg O"
wrote:

I friend on mine has a wrought iron park bench he wants me to cut some wood
for.
The question has come up, "Which wood?".

My favourites (UK) for outside work would be larch or sweet chestnut.
Larch is tougher and cheaper, if there's any risk of vandalism in a
public space - chestnut is a bit fragile.

There are several other cedars and cypresses worth looking at, depending
on local supply. Assuming that the work here is to provide simpel
rectangular laths and round the edges a bit, then it's not necessary to
go with exotics - just replace them every decade or two.