Posted to rec.woodworking
Rod & Betty Jo Rod & Betty Jo is offline

Default Park Bench

"Greg O" wrote in message
I friend on mine has a wrought iron park bench he wants me to cut some wood
for.
The question has come up, "Which wood?".
Anteing semi-exotic is out of the question. Something readily available at
the local yard. We kind of through in the towel and my just use clear
pine, with a good penetrating fence/deck seal. I though maybe white oak,
but I am not sure if I can find any. Ipe is out of the question as nobody
around here has it, and I don't want to ship some in, or work with it
either.
Greg

I just used fir 2by4's ripped and planed to size, painted white, of which
looked reasonably good with the sandblasted painted black old cast iron
ends. I rabbeted the board ends to fit the groves on the cast iron so I
could fit thicker material than the original oak or oak wannabe....plenty
strong and still holding 2 years later. Rod