Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Bolt Thread Size (Damn Metric ****)

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:51:40 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I think this might be metric bolts because they dont appear to be SAE.
I am puzzled what they are referring to.

I bought a used Makita table saw at a garage sale. It needed a few
repairs which I took care of. I got a downloaded PDF file from their
Makita website to help me determine what went where. I got it all
together and it works except the rip fence is missing a bolt that
makes it clamp sloppily. My parts can does not have anything that
will fit, so I'm off to the hardware store later today. The parts
list in that PDF file show this bolt as "Hex Bolt M6X16". WTF is
that? I am assuming the "M" means metric. Is that correct?

So far...

I am
assuming 6X16 means 16 threads per inch. (that looks about right),

Threads per *inch* on a *metruc* bolt??? Think about it a bit...

OOPS..... I guess it would be a sin and sentence to hell to use the
word "inch" on a metric bolt. I suppose it's threads per kilometer or
some such nonsense. This alone is proof that metrics are meant to
drive people insane. They are made for the criminally insane, because
after using them, one has an urge to kill whoever made the bolt
metric.

but what is the "6"?

Diameter in millimeters

6 centimeters long, or is it 6cm thick?

6cm *thick* would be one hell of a bolt. Think about it a bit...

There's a number missing either way......

True enough. The missing number is the thread pitch. 6x16 means 6mm in
diameter x 16mm long.

Thanks for the info, and yeah, it's MM not cm....
So, are all metric bolts the same thread pitch since they dont list
it???

It's so much easier to say I need a 1/4" bolt 1" long with 24 threads
per inch.

I think all metric bolts should be sent back to their own country of
origin, and the US governement should ban them in the US. If for no
other reason, they are anti-patriotic. America was built with inches,
feet, yards and miles..........