Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Park Bench

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 21:05:51 -0500, "Greg O" wrote:

I friend on mine has a wrought iron park bench he wants me to cut some wood
for.
The question has come up, "Which wood?".
Anteing semi-exotic is out of the question. Something readily available at
the local yard. We kind of through in the towel and my just use clear pine,
with a good penetrating fence/deck seal. I though maybe white oak, but I am
not sure if I can find any. Ipe is out of the question as nobody around here
has it, and I don't want to ship some in, or work with it either.
Greg

Assuming that the existing wood slats need replacing, I've BTDT... and never
will again...

You have to use hardwood.. pine will NOT handle the load unless it's too thick
to use on the bench... I wasted a lot of time and money finding out that it's a
LOT cheaper and easier to pay $30 or so for a new one....
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis