Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tom_sawyer70@yahoo.com is offline

Default Small Engine Repair - advice

Randy Cox wrote:
Wow! Your 8 yr. old daughter came up with that? Go slow, but you should
encourage her without committing her to something beyond her attention span.
Peter's idea about the old lawn mowers was great. Make up a simple flyer on
your computer and get fifty copies made. Check with your city and comply
with their rules then help her put some out. Help her think of putting an
ad in the free ad paper, greensheet or whatever in your area, saying 8 yr.
old looking for old lawn mowers and small engines that don't run. Will pick
up for free.

Take her as far as she wants to go. Don't be reluctant to let her make a
profit. Profit is not a dirty word, especially for an 8 yr. old. Don't be
disappointed when she tires of this; remember she is only 8. You are
fortunate to have her interest extend this far.

Randy,
I appreciate the compliments and yes, she did come up with the idea.
I've tried to jump on her inquisitiveness because as you mentioned, it
is more likely short-lived than not and I'd rather her learn with her
interest than not. That was the primary reason why we shortened the
season between now and school...if she loses interest, I'm not left
with the bag. We've done similar things with other interests, but this
is the first where I don't have an unlimited supply of examples to
provide. Actually, I was like that growing up as well...I had "music
lessons" at 8,9, 10, etc. but I didn't decide to learn to play until 17
or so...the result was much different.

As for profit, if she continues interest then that is another pursuit.
For now, this is for learning and I do not want to influence her
inquisitiveness with external rewards.

And yes, she is eight...my wife never lets me forget that point :-)