Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT Steve Barker LT is offline

Default HOT & GROUND REVERSED QUESTION

No outlet should have been on the smoke detector circuit to begin with.

--
Steve Barker

"JK" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thankis to all. Problem solved. Loose neutral in smoke detector.
Ceiling plan vibration over the years probably was the cause.
bob kater wrote:
Still sounds as though you might have a bad outlet etc somewhere. Had
water
in an outlet that did that to me once and the breaker never tripped then
went back to working. Later that day I had 24 volts to ground thru my
water
fauet in the kitchen and the same to my ground rod outside which was
causing
it to bleed back thru my water pipes. Also sometimes a breaker does not
appear to trip but actually does and you may have reset it when or if you
flipped the breakers as most people do when a problem comes up. Its time
replace that one. Since you already did I'd check everything on the
circuit
for a problem. does it show that at the breaker? No? disconnect the
outlets
one at a time till it clears up or remove the outlet tying the wires
together as you go till it clears up.
Never work again if you can figure out how to color it(the current) black
and white so it can be seen)
"JK" wrote in message
oups.com...
Receptacle tester shows hot & ground reversed. No wiring changes have
been made since home new 25 years ago. Plugged in iron and power went
out but didn't flip breaker. All outlets in room also out. Later all
worked, plugged in iron and all went out, and breaker still not
flipped. Iron works fine elsewhere. Replaced breaker and outlet.
Still nothing. Outlet tester shows hot & ground reversed for all
outlets on circuit. Pigtail tester shows neutral and hot both hot for
all outlets on circuit. There is also a light switch and ceiling fan
on circuit. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.