Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
James James is offline

Default Floor Joist Beam Spans

Thanks for the input Anthony, and your experience is interesting and on
point.

From all the input received here, I now have no doubt that I can span 20
feet easily, using #2 southern pine 2 X 12 beams , on 16 inch
centers.

I remain curious if anyone can still answer these remaining questions that
were in my original post:

Is #2 visually graded, the most common lumber found in lumber yards ?

Which would be better, 2 x 10 on 12 inch centers or 2 x 12 on
16 inch centers ?? It seems that the latter may be a bit cheaper, but price
isn't the primary concern.

What happens if you use a 2 X 12 beam, but put them on 24 inch centers
instead of 16 inch?? Do you simply get more deflection, and less load
capacity ?