Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default wire rope puller question

There will be a spring or a lever that will take the pressure off
the pawl that is connected to the handle. Once this is released,
the handle will flop back and forth. Slam the handle forward to
release the other pawl.
This method has very little control of the load. Another method
would be to raise the pawl on the handle and move the handle so it
could only move the drum one click, take the load on the handle
and disengage the pawl on the drum with you fingers as you let the
pressure off the load with the handle. Repeat as necessary.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello

I have been using a 'wire rope puller', also called a 'hand
puller." I always called it a "come-a-long."

Anyway, two set of teeth lock into the ratchet - one holds the
tension while the other advances.

It is easy to disengage one or the other, but how the heck do
you release both and let the cable go slack when it is under a
load?

paul