Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Kitchen counter height

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006, Robert Gammon wrote:

So I wonder if we cold mix materials in the kitchen, with impressive
Granite in some areas, Corian or similar in other areas. Silestone for
sink, stove and island areas, granite everywhere else. I've already
decided that the front edge of the counters will be faced with wood, not
granite, not Corian. The cabinet mfgs provide stained furniture grade
hardwoods to match the cabinets with profiles similar to the Granite and
Corian edge profiles. Its easier and cheaper to replace a damaged
section of wood, than to replace a countertop.

I worry alot about banging into the edges of these expensive counter
tops with things that are heavy and sharp that are dropped (or thrown)
against the edge.

I can't imagine Corian chipping. And I think if it did it could be
repaired. On the granite I have now there is a large chip above the
dishwasher. When moving large pots from the sink to the dishwasher they
often bang into the corner.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).