Posted to alt.home.repair
Mulan Mulan is offline

Default Old plumbing that won't unscrew

Thanks everyone, great options to try in the morning. I don't have an
oxycetelybe torch or a bunson burner though. I wonder if I can get it
hot enough with a gas BBQ lighter? Tomorrow's another fun day!
Don Young wrote:
"Mulan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to get the plug out of an old cast iron drain and it is
stuck solid I have tried WD 40 and it didn't work. Someone else
suggested CLR but I wanted to check here first. The last think I need
is a broken old cast iron drain leaking sewer gas into the house. Any
ideas?

Also there is galvanized pipe I need to connect to and they won't come
part either.

Please don't tell me this is a case where I have to cut into the old
line and make some kind of a joint. It is very hard to reach.

Lots of good ideas from other posters. Stuck and rusty galvanized threaded
pipe will nearly always come loose if you can hammer effecitvely around the
outer part. You generally need two heavy hammers, one to hold behind the
pipe while you hit with the other. As my dad used to say, "Hit it like you
mean it!". Light tapping does little good, hit it like you are trying to
flatten it. That will stretch the outer part enough to loosen it. The only
reasons it will not work are if you can't hit it hard enough or if rust has
eaten the pipe too thin to support the threads.

Threaded plugs in cast iron can be loosened similiarly. You hit the center
of the plug with a heavy ball peen hammer hard enough to dimple it in and
shrink the outside threads. This works really good with the proper brass
plugs as they are pretty thin in the center.

In the past, a good plumber would know how to do this and how to judge
whether the piping was strong enough to take the pounding. There is some
risk of damage and it a judgement call whether it is worth a try.

Don Young