Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default drywall cracking

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:03:33 GMT, lid (basspro) wrote:

hello, I am drywalling my basement, I am putting on my last coat of
mud and noticing cracking. I am wandering if I put the final coat on
to thick or do I have a bigger problem. I used regular paper tape,
and it seems that is where it is occuring. Do I need to sand it back
down or can I put a thin coat over top? Any help would greatly be
appreciated.

Not really the right group for this, but why not.

I've got a feeling you've fallen into the common trap of thinking
there's nothing to taping drywall and anyone can do it. Granted, it
isn't exactly rocket science, but there are a few things you need to
know.

First, you're hanging new drywall- paper tape is not the thing to use.
Get the mesh tape. It allows you to press the mud into the joint.

Second, your first coat needs to be Durabond. Not the premixed mud-
It comes in brown bags, and you need to mix it yourself. They have
numbers on them that refer to the working times- 90, 120, 210, etc.
Get one that gives you enough time to use up what you mix. This stuff
chemically cures instead of drying, so it is very hard and does not
shrink and crack as it sets. It's tough to sand, so keep it lower
than the level of the wall itself. Once that is dry, move to the
premixed Plus 3 with the darker blue top (if you're using sheetrock
brand stuff) and do your second coat with a 10" knife. Sand it when
it dries, and then do a final coat either with the Plus 3 or topping
(the premixed stuff with the light blue lid) and a 12" knife.

Use this technique, and it won't crack on you. Otherwise, just keep
filling in the cracks until either you or the wall gives up. They'll
eventually stop cracking, but it takes a lot more time and work.
Where the paper tape has bubbled up, you can either peel up the edge
and squeeze in some mud underneith and press it down, or tear it out
and start over.