Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 09:47:29 +0100, David Hansen wrote
(in article ):

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 12:53:49 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall
wrote this:-

Note that the UK got very little exports out of nuclear. There was
hardly an export success to justify the policy.

I don't think that that particularly matters.

That's not what the nuclear lobby said in the past. Exports were
going to help pay for the whole thing.

Economic and political circumstances change as does technology. Fossil
fuels are more expensive and there is political motivation to reduce carbon
emissions. An argument that was valid or not in the past may well have
little relevance to the present or future.

However, since they are now talking of importing the knowledge they
have played their past pronouncements down.

Knowledge and expertise are commodities that can be bought and sold.
Service industries do it all the time

It is interesting that some think that foreign wind turbine
engineering is suspect but not foreign nuclear reactors.

Do they? I wouldn't know.

I think that the large scale *deployment* of wind turbines is questionable
but I wouldn't differentiate about where the engineering is done.