Posted to alt.home.repair
M100C M100C is offline

Default HELP: Electrical circuit woes ...

All,
I'm helping a friend diagnose a circuit that just stopped working. After
some diagnosis, we've come up with the following:

1) The outlet that is not working has 20VAC between the white and black
wires (?) and 120VAC between the black and ground wires. Thus, I can power
the two-prong lamp off black and ground, but not by plugging it in (between
black and white).

2) I have not had time to determine what is between the circuit breaker and
this outlet, but I am suspecting there may be a bad GFCI somewhere due to
the voltage difference between white and ground wires. We did a quick check
of the GFCI (by pressing test and reset) and they *appear* to work fine, but
I am still skeptical.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Take care,
Chris