Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Old plumbing that won't unscrew

Eigenvector wrote:
"Mulan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to get the plug out of an old cast iron drain and it is
stuck solid I have tried WD 40 and it didn't work. Someone else
suggested CLR but I wanted to check here first. The last think I need
is a broken old cast iron drain leaking sewer gas into the house. Any
ideas?

Also there is galvanized pipe I need to connect to and they won't come
part either.

Please don't tell me this is a case where I have to cut into the old
line and make some kind of a joint. It is very hard to reach.

CLR is gun lubricant, I don't see that working any better than any other
oil. Outside of a good penetrating oil and a bigger wrench that's about all
there is. I'm sure there's pipe dope all over the threads to that plug and
it might as well be concrete by now.

As for the galvanized, same thing, there's probably pipe dope on the threads
and when it hardens it's a bitch to remove - plus it's undoubtedly corroded
all to heck and that means internally it's semi-welded together. A bigger
wrench is the only option I have. May not be the answer you're looking for,
but you could try a little further down the line maybe at an elbow or T
connection where the pipe is a bit more rigid.

Personally, I use a saws-all and replace it with PEX.

CLR (Stands for Calcium Lime Rust) is the brand of
a hardwater deposit remover. There are better
penetrating oils than WD-40.

Heating pipes will soften thread dope and the
expansion and contraction when cooling can help
loosen rusted pipe..