Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell udarrell is offline

Default 1988 Buick not cooling up to par - Best New R-12 Substitutes?

wrote:

lp13-30 wrote:

Darrell, was this a/c working fine one day and started short cycling the
next, or did it seem to not work properly since the beginning of warm
weather? If it was the first, then I agree that you have a problem and
need to have leak(s) fixed and the unit recharged. If the latter, dump a
can of 12 in it and dont worry about it. My mother had a 1983 Chevy
Citation until about 3 years ago that took a can about every three
years. One of those times, I was not able to get down there where they
live (about 250 miles from me), so she took it to 2 or 3 shops and they
all wanted to make a major production out of it.

I think the reason for all of them making a "big deal" out of it is
that it's illegal to just recharge an R12 system if it's leaking.

She finally found one

that put in a can for about $25 and it worked fine. The air was still
blowing cold when she sold the car. Worst part is that she had to have
the compressor and discharge line replaced on the 96 Chev she bought
soon after she got it, and spent exactly what she got for the Citation
going so. Good luck Larry

I genuinely appreciate all of your very helpful responses.
I have the Federal Refrigerant handling licenses but retired before I
got the recovery equipment.
I never worked on auto A/Cs.
My brother's newer car has the new refrigerant and does not seem to cool
nearly as well as my buick used to cool.
This buick cooled tremendously well from 1988 until now, -- it would
freeze you out in very hot and humid weather.

It may have quit cooling when the cruise control quit working. (?)
The cruise control could be a vacuum leak problem.

I will try to find service where I can go the lost cost route. - Darrell
- udarrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html