Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default Floor Joist Beam Spans

James wrote:
No, as stated in my original post, I don't want engineered beams. I will
use either 2 X 10 or 2 X 12 beams. My questions related to the
reading of the Maximum Span Chart for Southern Pine.

To those of you who say it can't be done, it appears that the Chart says
otherwise.

My footings will be ok.... don't worry about them. My questions relate to
the reading of the Maximum Span Chart for Southern Pine.

Thanks !!

OK, sorry i posted earlier about ijoists--i missed your comment about
not using engineered lumber. i have worked with 20' SYP 2x12's before.
hope you have a good back!

reading the span tables is pretty straightforward, and in spite of what
the naysayers say in this thread, at 30 psf live load, you can span 26,
yes 26 feet! with a select structural SYP 2x12 at 12"oc(good luck
finding that!). that is what the tables at southernpine.com say. the
real questions are what is your live load and what is the grade of your
lumber.

where i live, duluth minnesota, the city posts what live load you
should use for various rooms, attics, storage, etc. on their website.
if in doubt, follow the codes, even if you don't have plan review or
inspection.

As for grading, I have seen mostly machine stress rated lumber when
using structural lumber, but what you get is inconsistent in that there
are mixed grades in the same unit. I wouldn't trust home depot
however, since they can try to make their prices seem lower by actually
supplying a lesser product. if you can go to a real lumberyard, do so.
you can probably order select structural SYP if you want, though be
prepared to pay for it. a good lumberyard will have someone who knows
all about what grades are available.

btw, SYP used to be the common structural lumber, but in the past few
years, only doug fir and hem-fir have been available here.
-