Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Old plumbing that won't unscrew

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 16:05:52 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Eigenvector" quickly quoth:

"Mulan" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am trying to get the plug out of an old cast iron drain and it is
stuck solid I have tried WD 40 and it didn't work. Someone else
suggested CLR but I wanted to check here first. The last think I need
is a broken old cast iron drain leaking sewer gas into the house. Any
ideas?

Also there is galvanized pipe I need to connect to and they won't come
part either.

Please don't tell me this is a case where I have to cut into the old
line and make some kind of a joint. It is very hard to reach.

CLR is gun lubricant, I don't see that working any better than any other

Use http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbath.asp# for plumbing, MiliTec1 for
weapons, and Kroil for stuck hardware.

Mulan, try CLR. If it doesn't faze it, dry it and try some Kroil
penetrating lube. Also, sometimes it's good to heat the nut with a
propane torch. Caution: wooden structures go up quickly.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen