Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] dkuhajda@locl.net is offline

Default Computer grounding via a UPS not proper - what could be the problem.

Vivek.M wrote:
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:37:41 +0100, Eeyore wrote:
"Vivek.M" wrote:
My computer gives me a shock; Some details:
Supply: 250 V/50 Hz.

Surely you mean 230V ?

Yes indeed! Terribly sorry ( my analog-multimeter has a 250V slot and
i .. well auto-suggestion! ) The input voltage is fine 235 V.

How do i check to see if the battery is dead?

Do you have a voltmeter ? Check its voltage during the discharge cycle.

I'll do that. I haven't opened it up as yet.

Are you sure you're not simply getting 'static electricity shocks' when touching
the PC ? Do you have carpets with synthetic fibre for example ? Do you tend to
wear clothes with a high synthic fibre content ? These are all things that wil
charge *you* up and the PC wil simply *discharge* you when you touch it.

It's definetly not static; bare floor and absolutely no carpeting or
synthetic fibre. My parents and sister have been getting jolted as
well so it's definitely not a case of clothing. Plus as you said 20V
is a little high and that's off the case. Plus static jolts feel
different.

Any idea where the problem could lie - surely it's in the UPS? Any
idea what could have blown?

I am betting nothing is "blown." You more likely have MOV protect
devices that have gone leaky in either the front end of the UPS or the
front end of the computer power supplies. Actually could be in any
device on that circuit or any outlet strip that has surge protection.

The voltage you are reading is basically meaningless, unless it was at
full mains voltage. You need to be measuring the leakage current with
a proper leakage meter.