Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers ameijers is offline

Default What is a "mailbox house"?

"Jack W" wrote in message
generator installed has a big house, the electrician said, "No, he has
a mailbox house."

What is a "mailbox house"? Is it simply a small house?

I don't know for sure, but I would interpet that as one of the starter ranch
cookie cutters that were common as dirt a few decades ago- a single story
ranch with no bumpouts, a single ridge roof, about the proportions of a
rural mailbox. Modern equivilant would be a peaked-roof double-wide, aka
'modular' ranch house.

And not all mailboxes were dome-top, by the way. For many years, making the
mailbox look like the house with a pitched roof was considered cute. This
was to differentiate rural subdivisions from the 'farmer' style mailboxes.

aem sends...