Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers ameijers is offline

Default Goodbye Copper, Hello Pex and Aluminum

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
I seriously doubt steel will get much use as guardrail sinve it
REQUIRES painting etc.

Alunimuum is just set and forget till someone destroys it

Strange. I know signs are made of aluminum.
Never seen an aluminum guardrail. An aluminum
guardrail wouldn't have much strength (unless very
thick) compared to steel. Maybe aluminum ones are
used for decoration. Guessing you guys live in
the east.

Here in the rust belt, most highway guard rails are steel K-rail style.
Coated steel, heavily galvanized. They last okay. A formerly common name for
the was Armco rails, related, I presume, to the company that came up with a
coating method that works. Yeah, I do remember rusty rails from the old
days, but anything put up in last 20-30 years seems to be fine.

aem sends...