Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan HeatMan is offline

Default Goodbye Copper, Hello Pex and Aluminum

I'm getting a little off topic
"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Built my house in the early 1970s, for those who can remember that far

back,
was when aluminum was popular as an electrical wire because the price of
copper had skyrocketed. Even though I was on a tight budget, I paid the
price and installed only copper wire in the house. I cut corners to pay

for
copper by buying cheaper finishing items that could be easily replaced at

later date, and they were replaced.

That's kinda what I tell my customers building a house. Spend the extra
money on upgraded windows, not upgraded wall paper. Increase the efficinecy
of your heating and cooling system, don't install the granite countertop!

Good point.

Many years later, many remodels later, I
am still happy, safe and comfortable that some of the original wiring is
still in place and working properly.

Back then the NM cable had each wire paper wrapped over the insulation,
additional paper cords to fill out 3 wire cables to make them rounder,

then
a paper over wrap under a braided sheath which was soaked in tar then
painted orange. Finally they coated the cable in a wax material to make it
easier to pull through holes in the wood framing. It took time to strip

the
ends of the cable and to work your way down to the actual wires. There is
still some of this cable in use in my house.

Bite the bullet, buy copper, save money on something else, you won't

regret
it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
right up with gas another 30 cents a gallon increase

I will NEVER use alunimum house wiring, copper is a ONE TIME expense.