Posted to rec.woodworking
dicko dicko is offline

Default drywall cracking

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:03:33 GMT, lid (basspro) wrote:

hello, I am drywalling my basement, I am putting on my last coat of
mud and noticing cracking. I am wandering if I put the final coat on
to thick or do I have a bigger problem. I used regular paper tape,
and it seems that is where it is occuring. Do I need to sand it back
down or can I put a thin coat over top? Any help would greatly be
appreciated.

Back to top

No one's asked about the type of mud you're using. Is it the pre-mixed
general purpose stuff?

I have nothing but problems using that stuff. Instead I've switched
to the setting type compound that comes in a bag and needs to be mixed
with water, Durabond 90. It hardens like a rock, has much greater
adhesion, and doesnt shrink as much. And its specifically designed as
a bedding mud instead of being general purpose.

It's corresponding top coat mud, Easysand, goes on like butter,
doesnt shrink as much and really is easier to sand than the readymix
stuff. Both are available from the BORG.

I've given up using the ready mixed mud and am much happier for it.

BTW, if you're doing long edge to long edge taping, I find it hard to
believe that you can put that much mud in the indent that it will
crack when it dries. If you're doing short edge butt joints, then if
you're putting it on that thick that it cracks, you really should sand
it down, else you'll have a really good bulge in your wall.

dickm