Posted to rec.woodworking
John L. Poole John L. Poole is offline

Default Google CAD "SketchUp"- Free for 90 days

Pop wrote:
snip
I don't think I'd depend on that policy being permanent - I said
in June it was going to be a baiting effort; I still think it is.
They just want a well entrenched user base before they end the
freebie.
So, if you're playing with it, great; but do NOT depend on it
if you don't plan to eventually pay for it. You'll likely end up
with orphaned dwgs or looking for crackers.
Also, look for a big drop in the Pro pricetag when the freebie
ends, purportedly to make it easier on those who are "hooked" on
it. Maybe in the form of a "special deal" for Beta testing.
AVOID EVER DEPENDING ON A BETA FOR ANY REASON!!

Pop

Your prophetic June posting echoed in the back of my mind as I wrote
today's posting. I remember reading it and thinking, well maybe in this
case, Google might be different. Wishful thinking -- they're a publicly
traded company who are going to have to answer to Wall Street's demand
of continually maximizing profits, and your outline/predictions do
summarize a very savvy, if not predatory, strategy to gain market share.
When the small competitors are driven out, then the resulting
oligopoly can then pluck the consumers.

(Pop: I'd have sent this privately, but it looks like the only way to
reach you is to post publicly; I acknowledge this is getting far from
the topic of woodworking.)