Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop Pop is offline

Default Google CAD "SketchUp"- Free for 90 days

alexy wrote:
"CW" wrote:

Maybe so but we no betas were being discussed.

"J. Clarke" wrote in
message ...

It's common for betas to be time bombed. I don't see
where there's a problem with that as long as the
product continues to be free.

If the "we" was a typo, you are wrong. The window title for
google sketchup very clearly says "beta", at least on mine.

If the "no" was supposed to be "know", I don't get your
point. And it is not time limited--it just requires
updating to latest version to keep working.

I don't think I'd depend on that policy being permanent - I said
in June it was going to be a baiting effort; I still think it is.
They just want a well entrenched user base before they end the
freebie.
So, if you're playing with it, great; but do NOT depend on it
if you don't plan to eventually pay for it. You'll likely end up
with orphaned dwgs or looking for crackers.
Also, look for a big drop in the Pro pricetag when the freebie
ends, purportedly to make it easier on those who are "hooked" on
it. Maybe in the form of a "special deal" for Beta testing.
AVOID EVER DEPENDING ON A BETA FOR ANY REASON!!

Pop